1. Assist the classroom teacher by providing instructional services to students with disabilities individually, in small groups and/or test proctoring.
2. Assist with general supervision of students in a multitude of settings including, but not limited to classroom, hallways, lunchroom and playground.
3. Assist with classroom management of students and monitoring individual student behavior through crisis intervention by implementing positive behavior management strategies or others supported by the program.
4. Assist with the preparation of classroom materials, projects, demonstrations and displays.
5. Assist with clerical and record keeping duties or other general housekeeping duties as directed by supervisor.
6. Utilize own special skills and abilities by assisting the instructional program in such areas as foreign language, arts, crafts, music, recreation, vocational or other similar subject areas – when requested/appropriate.
7. Must be able to use, or willing to learn basic computer skills including email.
8. Must be able to ride school bus with students and support students in community-based learning activities (work experience, field trips, vocational training).
9. May be required to transport self in personal vehicle to off campus community-based learning activities.
10. Must be able to assist students in therapeutic and/or traditional outdoor chlorinated pool.
11. Must be able to assist in self-help, personal care activities and mobility for students with disabilities.
12. Willing to continue on-going professional development in support of program placement.
13. Able to perform necessary physical activities.
14. Perform other duties related to specific programs.
15. May attend meetings.
1. Graduation from high school or possession of an equivalency diploma, plus one year paid or volunteer experience working with children.
2. Work collaboratively with team members to effectively support all students in program assignments.
3. Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively communicate with adults and students.
4. Physically able to perform all duties required of the position
5. Must be able to complete background check through NYSED