JOB TITLE: Teacher’s Aide
REPORTS TO: Classroom Teacher/ Director School of Program
HOURS/STATUS: Full Time/Non-Exempt
Provide assistance and make meaningful contributions in classroom with children and young adults who have varying abilities in developmental, intellectual, and social-emotional skill-sets.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Candidates for this position will have: the ability to demonstrate, and provide examples of continuous personal development and improvement; a student focused attitude; excellent communication skills, verbal and written; problem solving skills, strong organizational skills and the ability to effectively manage multiple tasks/projects. Must be able to lift, push, and pull 50lbs. A valid NYS driver’s license with the ability to become an agency approved driver preferred.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Assisting students with daily objectives in classroom.
- Participate in Physical Education and Pool program with students.
- Assist the classroom teacher by performing non-instructional duties to support students individually, in small groups and/or test proctoring.
- Assist with general supervision of students in a multitude of settings including, but not limited to classroom and hallways.
- Assist with classroom management of students and monitoring individual student behavior.
- Assist with the preparation of classroom materials, projects, demonstrations and displays.
- Assist with clerical and record keeping duties or other general housekeeping duties as directed by teacher/supervisor.
- Work collaboratively with team members to effectively support all students in program assignments.
- Attend meetings as necessary. Provide an efficient system for addressing the needs of students and implementing individualized interventions, including intensive interventions as needed. Able to utilize positive school-wide, classroom, and small-group behavioral supports.
- Perform additional duties as requested.
High School diploma or GED and Teaching Assistant Certification required. Some college education and experience working with children with developmental/intellectual disabilities is preferred.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.