JOB TITLE: Teaching Assistant
REPORTS TO: Classroom Teacher/ Director of School Program
HOURS/STATUS: Full Time/Non-Exempt
The Teaching Assistant will facilitate students’ appropriate participation in all scheduled classes and activities and assist the students in meeting academic and social needs. The Teaching Assistant will carry out classroom activities in classroom teacher’s absence.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Candidates for this position will have: the ability to demonstrate, and provide examples of continuous personal development and improvement; a student focused attitude; excellent communication skills (verbal and written); Problem solving skills, strong organizational skills and the ability to effectively manage multiple tasks/projects. Must be able to lift, push, and pull 50lbs
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Assist the teacher with curriculum development and lesson planning
- Work with teacher in planning and implementing programs aimed at meeting the individual needs of the students
- Encourage student enthusiasm for learning processes by working with each student on an individual basis
- Assist teachers in making needed adjustments to the instructional program
- Supervise students during instruction and in the absence of the teacher
- Assist students during lunch time
- Must be willing to assist with student hygiene needs
- Must be able to push, pull or lift 50 pounds
- Work collaboratively with team members to effectively support all students in program assignments.
- Ability to collect progress monitoring data on academic, social, and behavioral areas
- Assist with clerical and record keeping duties or other general housekeeping duties as directed by teacher/supervisor.
- Handle instruction resource research activities and hand out materials to students
- Assist students in embarking and disembarking from the school bus
- Actively participate in school aquatics programs
- Attend school wide activates with the students
- Attend staff and in-service meetings as appropriate
- Provide efficient system for addressing the needs of students and implementing individualized interventions, including intensive interventions as needed. Able to utilize positive school-wide, classroom, and small-group behavioral supports.
- Other duties may be assigned.
High School Diploma or GED required. Some college and experience working with children and young adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities is preferred. Must be willing to assist with student hygiene needs. Must be able to push, pull or lift 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.