The largest and most highly regarded children’s hospital in Rochester is urgently seeking an Outpatient Access Specialist for their award-winning organization.
This is an incredible opportunity to join the team in a fast-paced department that rewards urgency, patience, and hard work.
Contract to probable hire
Pay: $13-16/hr, depending on experience
The Outpatient Access Specialist (OAS) provides a high degree of customer service and clerical support to the Division’s outpatient clinic, the Children’s Heart Center. The Specialist coordinates functions associated with patient information processing for ambulatory care visits and procedures, and acts as a resource to faculty and staff. The Specialist works closely with other OAS staff and associated medical providers, monitoring and ensuring that all functions are completed in an accurate, efficient and customer friendly manner. The Center comprises a complex, multisubspecialty clinical group, where approximately 5,000 consults and follow-up visits and 15,000 diagnostic cardiac procedures are performed annually.
Reception and Check In and Out:
- Greets patients to initiate positive ambulatory experience
- Identifies healthcare provider to be seen, directs patients to next destination, obtains signatures as needed (e.g., for insurance forms), identifies and assesses patients’ special needs (e.g., interpreters).
- Provide constant vigilance of waiting area ensuring no patient waits unduly long providing communication between Tech/Nurse Station and the patient if there is a delay to patient’s appointment time.
- Coordinates processing of patient information for the Children’s Heart Center using the Flowcast System
- At patient check-out schedules patient’s follow up appointments, procedures, releases procedure orders in eRecord, prints patient’s eRecord AVS and collect co-payments.
- Monitors registration errors, completes missing registration data, reconciles and ensures accuracy of patient information to ensure reduction in billing rejections.
- Identifies ways to reduce follow-up, repetitive, or corrective work.
Electronic Insurance Verification
- Call patients daily to remind them of upcoming appointment.
- Print daily schedules and complete patient packets for next day clinic.
- Notify Tech/Nurse station of all infection controlled flagged patients scheduled for the day.
- Research insurances in on-line systems for patients on next days encounter list that are not ELIGIBLE in CIVU column.
High School diploma and 2.5 years related work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Medical terminology experience required.
Demonstrated ability to word process documents and enter data into a database.
Demonstrated skills related to achievement of customer satisfaction. Demonstrates the ICARE values to patients, families and staff.
Ability to act as a resource to less experienced staff.